Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ashes

Ashes by Kathryn Lasky


In 1932 Berlin, thirteen-year-old Gaby Schramm witnesses the beginning of Hitler's rise to power, as soldiers become ubiquitous, her beloved literature teacher starts wearing a jewelled swastika pin, and the family's dear friend, Albert Einstein, leave the country while Gaby's parents secretly bury his books and papers in their small yard. 


My Thoughts - I tend to enjoy historical fiction set in this time period.  I imagine that Gaby's feelings and reactions to what was happening around her were typical of young people at that time.  I liked this story, especially the twist with Albert Einstein and another twist with Gaby's sister. 


*Summary taken from CIP data.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Just the title alone brings to mind the haunting exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in Fort Worth that is made from ashes. This book seems like it could be read hand in hand with the Bluebonnet nominee this past year, Someone Named Eva. Perhaps I'll put it on my summer reading list!